16 December 2008

Prayer Shawl




A few years ago, my mom found a great crochet book for me. It is all about prayer shawls. It has some really great symbolism and really beautiful patterns. I have already made two of these, and this is the most recent.
The idea behind it is that while you are making the item, you weave in your prayers for the person you are making it for. The person can then wrap themselves in the assorted shawls, be warm and cozy, and remember that they are loved by many.
The first one I made was a simple long rectangle, and looked very similar to an over sized scarf or an undersized afghan (not sure which is more accurate). In any event, I had made it for a friend who was going through some very difficult times. She was sick, in and out of the hospital, trying to finish a college degree, and so much more. She was also just discovering Christianity. As it happened, she received Christ during the time that I was making her shawl.
This one was very different to make. The pattern is actually made in one large triangle as opposed to two halves. The first few stitches are actually in the center of the long straight side. The triangles then get progressively larger as the point of the shawl gets longer.The lace edging was also fun to do, and is a really fun technique.
While this shawl does not yet have a home, there are certainly many prayers 'woven' into it. I pray someone will feel the love and warmth of this shawl when it finally finds a home.



No comments: