28 December 2008

Chalkboard Fabric?

On an adventure home a few months ago, I was introduced to a really awesome new fabric! It is called chalkboard fabric! That is right, chalkboard fabric. Not stiff like a regular chalkboard, you can cut it, sew it, and then you can write on it. Which is awesome!.

The only problem is, when you try to sew on it regularly, the metal sewing foot sticks to it and sewing is not smooth at all. This is when I found something else out. There is a special foot that you can put on your machine that is coated with Teflon! How cool is that. You thought it was just for your pots and pans, and maybe some bathroom cleaners. Not anymore. The sewing foot glides across sticky fabrics like vinyl, oilcloth, chalkboard fabric, plastics, and leathers with ease.

So I found a kit that made place mats with this fabric. That and a little bit of colorful oilcloth (kind of like vinyl but better). I cut the chalkboards into a simple crayon shape, added squiggles of the colorful oilcloth, and **voila** Crayola place mats!
Perfect for drawing, playing, learning to write, and everything else. And with a set of four, perfect for a wonderful family I know.

The only key is, you must season the fabric first. Easy enough. Take one piece of chalk, lay it on its flat side, and rub it all over the fabric. Erase the chalk dust and you are ready to draw and write and everything else.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Stephanie Kay said...

Boy am I a moron! Obviously I haven't read your blog in a while. {hanging head in shame}