07 December 2008

Afghans by the Pound

Have you ever walked into a craft store and looked in the yarn section? And then you see the giant sized skeins, and you wonder to yourself, "What would you possibly use all that yarn for?"
I have. And I didn't think too much about it as I walked by those giant skeins of yarn to find the smaller, more reasonable skeins of yarn.

That is, until 2 Christmases ago.
A very good friend of mine, who shares my love of crocheting, decided to get me a Christmas present. After thinking for a while, and searching a bit too, she found this book called Afghans by the Pound. Looking inside the book there are many designs that use 1, 2, 3, or even 4 pounds of yarn! That is a whole lot of yarn.
Once she found the book, she decided there must be yarn involved. So off to look at those giant skeins of yarn that most would not pay attention to.
One week before Christmas, she gave me this large package, and opening it I found the book and two Pounds of yarn. I was stunned and wasn't sure what I would do with all of this yarn.
Two years later, here I am with a strange work schedule and two hours to kill in the middle of the day. I dug out the yarn and the book, found a pattern that used two pounds exactly, picked up a hook, and began the afghan. After a week, the afghan was done and I was shocked. I had never actually finished a crochet project larger than a scarf. This was also the first project I had done that was a pattern as opposed to straight stitches.

Pretty good, I think. The lines are straight and everything. ;)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow Kat! A week! That really goes to show what we can accomplish in those moments that we often waste (speaking for myself here).

Stephanie Kay said...

I made an afghan in high school. I have one that my gma made that looks like this same pattern - or very similar.