The first thing I want to say is sorry. A couple of the pictures refused to load properly, so they are on their side. On my computer they are the right way up, but when uploading to blogger, they decided to do their own thing.
This was my first shot at a kind of memory quilt. A lady I worked with found out I quilted and told me about her lifelong dream to have her daughters' clothes turned into quilts. She had of course saved their clothes from the time they were little all the way through college. Lots of choices in those shirts, and lots of variety as well.
I was only given a few guidelines, if you want to call them that. They said I could do anything I wanted, but certain shirts were to be split between both quilts (i.e. brownie uniform and school uniforms). The were also supposed to be queen size quilts and warm (that mostly had to do with my batting of choice).
Here is where I started with my conceptual idea. The I started adding fabric between the shirts. One daughter liked care bears as a kid. The other had a favorite movie (The Wizard of Oz).
Then I created labels for both of the quilts, again using some of the shirts from the stashes. Here is the one for the care bear quilt. I embroidered her name and birth day. This is the other quilt with the Wizard of Oz fabric. The border is red shoes on a golden yellow background. Really fun. The other fabric is just a scenic print from the movie.
See those red shoes. And here is the second embroidered label.So there they are, two queen size t-shirt memory quilts. Here's hoping they will enjoy these. What do you think? Ever thought about turning your children's clothes into a memory quilt?
1 comment:
I have thought about having some my shirts into a quilt. I love the red shoes border though. That is my favorite movie as well.
Post a Comment