15 August 2008

Quilting...


When you think of quilts, what do you think about? Grandmothers, cozy, old, quaint? But do we ever think of all the hard work that goes into a quilt, or the love and beauty that may be encompassed int hese works of art? I clearly didn't....

Hard work was not what came to mind when my aunt looked at a picture of a quilt and soon burst into smiles and laughter. It was last Christmas when she saw this picture in my mom's quilting magazine. She loved the quilt in the picture so much, she raved about it all night.

Of course when I pulled her name fromt he hat (to be the person I gifted to the next year), I immediately thought back to that quilt. "That would be an easy gift!" I thought.


Easy, it is not. This quilt has pieced butterflies - if any one knows quilts, piecing is many small bits of fabric being put together to make a larger square or rectangle. Each butterfly is 18 pieces (that is A LOT).


So there are 16 butterflies, and then all the difficulty and tediousness of making sure everything ends up square and straight. Thus far, I have the butterflies put together (after many hours of work) and now I have them sewn into 4 rows. Now I just need to finish putting them together, add a back, and add a binding. This sounds easy, but of course I am sure (as with the rest of this project) it will all be more difficult than I currently think it will be.


But all in all, for my very first quilt, I think it looks pretty good. Hopefully it will be a great Christmas present, even if it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

2 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

I'm impressed! Now that you have a little experience, the next one should be easier for you. = )

BTW, I need your email address so I can email you the link to the pictures from the wedding shower.

Kat said...

I hope the next one will be easier. I will be workig on a tumbling blocks quilt in red, black, and white for Brnadon and I.