02 March 2010

Sunshine on My Shoulders Makes Me Happy

After moving to New York, I felt like a little girl going to a new school. I didn't know if I would be able to make friends, or if I would fit in. I asked myself all those little kid questions. Well, I have indeed made friends and been able to fit in.
Well, one such friend has had a very hard time lately, and has been fighting a lot of stuff. So when I found out her birthday was coming up soon, I decided she deserved a little sunshine.
I found a pattern that uses strips of fabric, and there was a lot of cutting, sewing, cutting, sewing, and cutting and sewing again to get these particular shapes. I kind of thought they looked like bows on the top of birthday presents!
This quilt and the colors I picked (because they were her favorite colors) reminds me of happy, sunny days. So I think of it as the sunshine quilt. This also helped me choose my quilting pattern. I actually quilted some very simple flowers on this quilt.

You can really see the quilt stitching in the shadows on the background. Aren't the flowers cute? Anyways, this is a complete surprise, and her birthday is in a couple of weeks, so I will let you know how she likes it.


2 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

Love it! Your right, the pattern does look like bows on presents. The colors and shapes also made me think of autumn and maple leaves.

Madelyn said...

That is beautiful Katie. I am sure she will love it.