And before you even ask, no it is not mine. (giggles)
Brandon asked me a while back if I would make a quilt for his baker, Ali. Ali was going to have a baby in January, and he thought it would be really nice to give here a baby quilt.
I got to work immediately. I planned a design and the colors, and then went in search of the perfect fabrics.
In order to find the perfect fabrics for a project, you must do a lot of searching. Unless of course you are really lucky, and find everything you need in one store. For this quilt, I found fabrics in 5 different stores that existed in 3 different states (sometimes moving a lot can help with fabric selection...).
After piecing this quilt, I thought it looked really cool. Then I had to decide how to quilt it. Straight lines just didn't seem like the right thing to do. I found a really awesome free motion print that had a lot of stipples (those funny squiggly lines) and stars. I thought that was perfect. It came printed on a roll of paper with sticky tape on the top and bottom of the roll. You just unrolled the paper to the length you needed, cut it, and taped it to the quilt. Then it is just a matter of follow the lines.
After all of the papers are quilted through, you have to go through the painstaking process of removing the paper from the quilt. I mean you could leave it on, but that makes for difficult washing, crunchy quilts, and you lose the whole point of picking out perfect fabrics in the first place. 
This quilt has some batik and some regular cotton prints on the front, and the back and binding are actually flannel prints. Brandon gave it to Ali today, and he said she really liked it. I love happy endings. Happy (belated) New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment