02 January 2009

One for Us

As I have gotten more and more into quilting, I have attempting very difficult patterns. I did not think anything of it until I spoke with one of the class teachers in my mom's sewing shop in New Jersey.

As I was talking with Pat, I told her I was working on a few projects. I showed her the Butterfly Quilt, pictured a few posts ago, and she thought it looked awesome. I told her how many pieces were in each block, and she was impressed. Then I told her it was my first quilt attempt.
Then I told her I was working on a Tumbling Blocks quilt. I showed her how far I had gotten, and she thought it looked really good. And, as my second quilt, she said I was insane. I had chosen one of the most difficult quilt patterns for my second attempt at quilting.

So here it is, the Tumbling Blocks Quilt. I found this printed fabric in 4 coordinating colors: Black print on white, white print on black, red print on white and white print on red.


The reason this quilt is so difficult is all of the 'Y' seams that are involved. Each individual block has a single 'Y' seam (which is actually three shorter seams that all meat in the center of the block). When you sew the blocks together, you make a million more 'Y' seams. This gets to be extremely difficult when you continue to add more and more blocks.

Here is what the finished quilt top looks like, finally done!


2 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

Beautiful! Though the close up pics make my eyes cross. = )

Kat said...

Mine too! Especially trying to sew it together and quilt all the right blocks.