27 November 2008

Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone will have a wonderful holiday. All the stores are closed, few restaurants will even open. Everyone will travel this morning, or they have already travelled, to be at their destination in time for the infamous dinner.

A giant turkey roasted to perfection, stuffing, candied yams, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce (out of the can so it still has the little rings pressed into it), green bean casserole (made famous by those silly Campbell's commercials), and dinner rolls. And just when you thought you were done - coffee, tea, pumpkin pie, apple pie, chocolates, candies, and every other type of dessert imaginable (and if you are at Thanksgiving with my family there will always be a chocolate Kahlua cake). The family will be gathered to pass around stories, tell what they are thankful for; some will argue and others will bond.

Those in college may or may not go home, but there will usually be someone left in the area who will spend the holiday with a local family.

I choose to spend Thanksgiving in non-traditional ways as much as possible. I am not a fan of turkey, nor was I ever a big fan of my cousin who I was forced to spend time with because she was young and spoiled. My Thanksgiving day meal usually consisted of a small piece of ham, mashed potatoes, and a dinner roll. Then I would find a quiet corner and read a good book.

Brandon and I started a tradition for us a few years ago. He had spent his Co-op experience in Florida, and I was in California. On my was back to the east coast I took a huge detour and picked him up in Florida. For Thanksgiving we had Chicken Enchiladas (which Brandon is amazing at making) and we went to see a movie. Although we don't always go see a movie, the chicken enchiladas have stuck. And because Brandon has since become a vegetarian, we make half chicken and half veggie.

This year, I am working. Thanksgiving day spent at the airport. This is how I know everyone is done travelling after the morning is over, because the airport is left empty and everywhere you go is like a ghost town.

But I will always remember what I am thankful for, and here is a brief list:

~ my family and friends who are always there when I need them

~ my job - because in this time of economic crisis nothing is guaranteed

~ my husband - who always takes care of me in any way he can

~ my church and church family - they will always help me out when I am in need, cheer me up when things are going bad, and share in my joy when things are good - the families in my church are so helpful and loving, I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for them: Thank you Grace Harbor

So what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving Day?

2 comments:

Amy said...

We're thankful for you guys too! Neat how you have "your" tradition! Those are special!

Stephanie Kay said...

Yum! Chicken enchiladas! What a fun tradition! = )