18 July 2008

Little Cakes


My mom got me a really nice cake pan this last Christmas, and I love it. It is like a cupcake pan only instead of round the holes are square! It is actually really cool. The only bad part is it is difficult to clean...

So, with the pan in hand, I decided to bake some cupcakes. This was not too bad, and actually it was really easy. As they were baking, I remembered I had also gotten a really fun book about different ideas to decorate cupcakes from one of my mom's friends. this is when the mess started happening...

I decided it would be less messy to put all the cupcakes together, and make one big cake, that everyone could pull apart for their own pieces. Sounds like a good idea, but then no one wanted to touch it because they were afraid of messing it up.

Then I thought I would do a green marbled icing for the 'grass' look. That did not come out well, and it didn't even matter once everything was all said and done.

Finally, I started the sunflowers, which ended up not looking so bad. Of course there were a few issues along the way. For example: you are to pipe the icing in small petals around the sides. No one accounts for when the icing starts to melt, droop, and fall off.

As many problems as there were, I would probably still use the oreo sunflowers again, but on individual cupcakes, and in the fall when it is cooler weather.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I just discovered your blog today and am excited to see your projects and creativity! These cupcakes are so cute! Is it just an oreo surrounded by yellow piped flowers? I would love more info...so cute. Of course, they need to be easy for me to make them--so I definitely remember your advice to let it cool down! :)