12 August 2009

Strippy Quilts

With all kinds of fabrics out there, you cold never imagine to use them all even if you tried. But one way to use many fabrics in one quilt is to use a Jelly Roll. Jelly rolls are made of 40 fabrics cut into 2.5" strips. They usually come in a specific color scheme, a variety of fabrics from one designer line, or a set of fabrics with a theme.
I was given a jelly roll with an Oriental theme. I sat on this for a while trying to figure out the best way to use these strips of miscellaneous fabrics. There was no single color to work with, no single print or pattern, making it more difficult to tie the fabrics together in one quilt.

And then I found a pattern, call the Daisy Chain, that uses strips along with one main fabric that would allow everything to be tied together. That was it. A small daisy chain quilt.

So with the pattern in hand, I got started. Now I have finished the top of the quilt, and it is a little more abstract looking than I expected. Maybe I should have picked a different 'main' fabric, something more neutral.
What do you think? Anyone want to give this quilt a home?

No comments: